The Besançon National Stud was founded in 1754. It was transferred in 1852 to the one-hectare wooded park at 52 rue de Dole, in the Grette-Butte district, near Besançon city centre. These facilities allow horses of all breeds to be kept permanently. The National Stud of Besançon was particularly well known for providing breeders with stallions of the Comtois draught breed.
The vocation of the National Stud of Besançon is to accompany the development of the equine sector in Franche-Comté and to share its passion for horses through its historical, cultural and living heritage.